Document management in the cloud means storing your files in a remote data center, for access at any time from your desktop, smartphone or tablet. One of the key advantages to this approach is the ability to edit documents online regardless of your location or device. This function can also be extended to co-workers, clients, partners or suppliers. The benefits to individuals and organizations are many, which makes online document editing a priority when choosing a document management service. Here’s why:
1. COLLABORATION - By having individuals or groups working on centrally located files, whether they are in the same office or located all over the world, productivity and collaboration will increase as a result. No time is wasted searching for the latest version of the file to track what changes have been made and no email attachments are required to ensure everyone has the latest copy. Work is done is real time and the results are immediate.
2. ANYTIME, ANYWHERE ACCESS – There has been a radical change in how people work today. Users want access to their files 24/7 whether they are in the office, in a coffee shop, at home or on business travel using their computer, smartphone or tablet. When employees are given the flexibility of where and how they work, they are happier, absenteeism decreases and productivity increases due to reduced commuting time. Storing your documents in the cloud can help you realize these productivity benefits.
3. SECURITY – Cloud-based document management offers the optimum protection of your corporate or personal information. Your documents are safe and secure in redundant and fault tolerant data centers designed for protection and business continuity. Your files are always available whenever you need them and no document is ever lost on someone’s hard drive or memory stick. Having your data stored in country is necessary if you want to maintain control over regulated data and documents.
4. FILE PERMISSIONS – Not everyone needs access to your document folders or files. Ideally, you can set file and folder permissions by user to restrict what information they can access or download, for how long and whether they can add content to share with others. Providing a one time “guest access” to folders or files is beneficial when you only need to occasionally share information with individuals. Your document management service should provide you with this added layer of security.
5. COST – For those organizations who manage their documents internally, the purchase of file servers and software including the cost to maintain them continue to increase while I.T. budgets are shrinking. Renting a document management service in the cloud can address this problem. It can be setup in minimal time and users can be added or removed in minutes. User training and adoption is typically easier and less time consuming resulting in additional cost savings. With I.T. budgets in decline, moving this service to a monthly operational expense is the right choice for many organizations.
6. BACK UP & RECOVERY – Many files on individual workstations and laptops need back up. Users want a central access point to recover files they accidentally deleted on their workstation. This is critical for mobile users who don’t have access to company back up servers. By using a centralized (cloud) document management service, user files are backed up and centrally accessible. With the use of an endpoint sync agent, the syncing of documents between the user and the cloud is triggered by file changes keeping your content up to date. You can back up your files while enjoying all the benefits of cloud sync and share.
About WebPal Cloud Server
WebPal Cloud Server is a business solution by Palomino Inc. for secure, private, and powerful web content management, document storage and online collaboration. Accessed by over 300,000 users worldwide, WebPal powers collaboration portals for enterprises and small business clients alike. With a fast, slick and intuitive interface, WebPal is easier to adopt than most enterprise file sharing solutions. WebPal version 3.2 will be released in March 2015 and will feature online editing of word processing and spreadsheet documents.
Visit WebPal to register for a free 15-day trial of WebPal Cloud Server. Test drive its powerful capabilities and discover how it can help you bring order to your content and impress your customers with amazing web portals and applications.